T91/Wolf A1 U.S. User Feedback / Requests

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Brok3n
II

Hello,

This is my first post here! I don't know if the original Taiwanese manufacturer monitors things here or not, but I thought it would be neat if us users could provide feedback and requests for future changes to the uppers. I was an early adopter of the Wolf A1 when it first came ashore and I shot 500+ trouble free rounds before foolishly selling it to fund another project. I've recently purchased a T91 from T91tactical here and very much look forward to hitting the range with it when it gets here and keeping it in my collection this time.

While I know many like to build clones, I know there are those of us that like to modify our rifles to meet our needs and wants. I took one of the pictures here and added some text boxes on areas I think could use some improvement based on my use with my first upper.

Brok3n Inputs.jpg
Any thoughts? Inputs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jerry
I

I also hope maybe @e292644 can bring some feedback to the Factory 205 in Taiwan so they can make some improvements. At least make the front sight flip-up or pic rail for the users to install their sight. Other things like M4 feed ramp, free-floating barrel would be great as well.
Arkane
C

jerry wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:03 am I also hope maybe @e292644 can bring some feedback to the Factory 205 in Taiwan so they can make some improvements. At least make the front sight flip-up or pic rail for the users to install their sight. Other things like M4 feed ramp, free-floating barrel would be great as well.
You can't really free float a gas operated system.
Brok3n
II

jerry wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:03 am I also hope maybe @e292644 can bring some feedback to the Factory 205 in Taiwan so they can make some improvements. At least make the front sight flip-up or pic rail for the users to install their sight. Other things like M4 feed ramp, free-floating barrel would be great as well.
M4 Feed Ramp would be a nice addition, definitely agree on the free float, but I think would require maybe too much of a redesign?
apex
L

Brok3n wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm M4 Feed Ramp would be a nice addition, definitely agree on the free float, but I think would require maybe too much of a redesign?
If we're talking about the loose AR definition of "free floated barrel", just meaning the handguard does not touch the barrel or gas block, it would require a complete redesign of the upper, if the handguard mounts via the barrel nut like most AR free float rails. The barrel nut would have to be changed for mounting points meaning it must be thicker or longer and would then interfere with the piston assembly, which would then need to be redesigned, and if you want the handguard to be a single piece the gas block would also need to be redesigned. You could also design the nut to have flared 'wings' that would be mounting points for the handguard and not interfere with the piston, but then you'd have the issue of timing the nut perfectly with both the required torque and getting the position right for the handguard to mount correctly and line up (which is an absolute PITA).
The only way to accomplish this without basically turning a T91 into an Adams Arms, LWRC, or POF upper would be with a flattop-mounted handguard like the VLTOR CASV-M, which has actually been done, but VLTOR discontinued these and virtually no one else made them.
(not mine)

If we're talking the true definition of "free floated barrel", meaning the barrel is mated to the receiver and that is the only point of contact on the barrel, this is impossible on any semiautomatic firearm that does not use a direct or delayed blowback, or roller/lever-locked system- a gas block has to be mounted somewhere on the barrel, and whatever gas tube or piston system must then be attached to the block and then to the receiver. Even an internal piston AR (erroneously called DI or semi-DI) cannot be truly free floated.
@onion28@

My two-cents on improvements:
1. A T91S/K1-style front sight block that when used with a T91 carry handle or simple sight does not require the front sight post to be screwed in 5ft from the center of the earth and sits flush with the shoulder of the block.
2. A T91S/K1-style front sight block that when used with a standard-height AR-15 rear sight does not require the front sight post to be the tall A1 post and also require it to be screwed out sky-high and sits flush with the shoulder of the block.
Arkane
C

Apex nailed it . The easiest (and probably most economical for the company) is to work on the sights.
Brok3n
II

Thanks for the replies folks. What do you guys think about a barrel profile change? Think it would improve accuracy any?
e292644
Site Admin

Just for fun.....
Aero Precision Upper and LWRC 7" Hand Guard.
Just another inch shy. But Y'all like to see something naked right?
605830559.738645.jpg
605830436.978067.jpg
60607878971__0449434D-C3DE-4483-9BBC-826C958EBBF9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apex
L

e292644 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm Just for fun.....
Aero Precision Upper and LWRC 7" Hand Guard.
Just another inch shy. But Y'all like to see something naked right?
L-Lewd, but you've piqued my interest @onion30@

If you don't mind me asking...
1. How much fitting had to be done to the rail to allow clearance of the piston assembly?
2. How secure is the rail, I'm assuming you've used the T91 barrel nut and not an AR/M16 nut?
3. If you've put some rounds through this, have you seen any adverse/increased wear on the Aero upper as compared to the T91 upper?
e292644
Site Admin

apex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm L-Lewd, but you've piqued my interest @onion30@

If you don't mind me asking...
1. How much fitting had to be done to the rail to allow clearance of the piston assembly?
None, fit perfectly.

2. How secure is the rail, I'm assuming you've used the T91 barrel nut and not an AR/M16 nut?
It's tight and not going anywhere. I use GI barrel nut and have to take the last section of the piston assembly part out.

3. If you've put some rounds through this, have you seen any adverse/increased wear on the Aero upper as compared to the T91 upper?
Will report this after reaching 500 rounds.
apex
L

e292644 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:05 pm It's tight and not going anywhere. I use GI barrel nut and have to take the last section of the piston assembly part out.
Hmm. If removing the piston assembly endplate (for lack of a better term) won't result in the springs damaging the back of the sleeve, this is a game changer. I wonder if just cutting the endplate to be flush with the sleeve would cause any issues from it spinning freely in the sleeve under the spring pressure when cycling?
e292644
Site Admin

I’ll give it a try and report back.
apex wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 pm
Hmm. If removing the piston assembly endplate (for lack of a better term) won't result in the springs damaging the back of the sleeve, this is a game changer. I wonder if just cutting the endplate to be flush with the sleeve would cause any issues from it spinning freely in the sleeve under the spring pressure when cycling?
Arkane
C

apex wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 pm
e292644 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:05 pm It's tight and not going anywhere. I use GI barrel nut and have to take the last section of the piston assembly part out.
Looking at the design and imagining the stresses I think the plate also serves as a support and helps protect the upper. And having it riveted stationary in place probably helps accomplish that. I'd bet loose you'd see flexing during piston movement which would probably to wallow out the hole in the upper.