Scope preference

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Daniel44114
I

The best i ever had were clear and you could see through them or remove them if snow stuck to them, and they were not flip up either. cant find another pair now.

the flip ups are always flipped when i dont want them to flip. consequently i use the bikini or scope coat. on side benefit of a scopecoat is the turrets dont get rubbed. i had a turret cap come off in a scabbard once and guard against that now.
Tylerdus
I

Arkane wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 pm I've been doing a lot of scouring on the web for T91 references and info and from what I've found "issue" rifles will use a local manufacture scope witht he nomenclature of XST91. There is little to no info that I've been able to find on it (at least in English). A lot of pics also show it with an EoTech mounted. It appears the Indians are using the Elcan.

A good optic for the price is the Primary Arms 3x or 5x with the ACSS reticle. I've owned quite a few of the PA optics over the last 8+ years . Despite the abuse (and I am rough on my working rifles) I have yet to break one.
Hi there,

I am new here, so please excuse me if I ask dumb questions. I am also new to the hobby, but I would like to master it someday. I am in the market for a long-range scope.
I was looking around and I found a website that points out the pros and cons of long-range scopes, but I am sure it is better to hear an opinion from someone who owns one.

Which long-range scope would you recommend for a beginner?
Thank you
Arkane
C

Tylerdus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am
Arkane wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 pm I've been doing a lot of scouring on the web for T91 references and info and from what I've found "issue" rifles will use a local manufacture scope witht he nomenclature of XST91. There is little to no info that I've been able to find on it (at least in English). A lot of pics also show it with an EoTech mounted. It appears the Indians are using the Elcan.

A good optic for the price is the Primary Arms 3x or 5x with the ACSS reticle. I've owned quite a few of the PA optics over the last 8+ years . Despite the abuse (and I am rough on my working rifles) I have yet to break one.
Hi there,

I am new here, so please excuse me if I ask dumb questions. I am also new to the hobby, but I would like to master it someday. I am in the market for a long-range scope.
I was looking around and I found a website that points out the pros and cons of long-range scopes, but I am sure it is better to hear an opinion from someone who owns one.

Thank you
There's a point to where you can put to much scope on a rifle, especially when it comes to intermediate cartridges. What I suggest you do is identify what your need is (varmit hunting, home protection, etc...), then think about the differences in magnification using the rule of thumb that the greater the objective the wider the field of view however the higher the power the narrower the field of view.

I consider the maximum effective range of most 5.56 to be around 460 meters or so. For that range and my purposes I run an Eotech XPS with a Burris AR tripler and zero at 50 meters. That gives me POA/POI out to about 220m, and if I put the dot on top of the target it usually works past that out to around 400m. Given that in my area most terrain is going to limit any shot you need to take to less than 300 meters that more than fits my bill. Your requirements may not be the same due to needs, terrain, etc. The Primary Arms ACSS stuff is good, I abuse my rifles constantly and have yet to break any of them. That ACSS reticle is darn good, good enough Trijicon bought a license to use it.
e292644
Site Admin

@onion20@ for ACSS
Arkane wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 am
Tylerdus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am

Hi there,

Thank you
There's a point to where you can put to much scope on a rifle, especially when it comes to intermediate cartridges. What I suggest you do is identify what your need is (varmit hunting, home protection, etc...), then think about the differences in magnification using the rule of thumb that the greater the objective the wider the field of view however the higher the power the narrower the field of view.

I consider the maximum effective range of most 5.56 to be around 460 meters or so. For that range and my purposes I run an Eotech XPS with a Burris AR tripler and zero at 50 meters. That gives me POA/POI out to about 220m, and if I put the dot on top of the target it usually works past that out to around 400m. Given that in my area most terrain is going to limit any shot you need to take to less than 300 meters that more than fits my bill. Your requirements may not be the same due to needs, terrain, etc. The Primary Arms ACSS stuff is good, I abuse my rifles constantly and have yet to break any of them. That ACSS reticle is darn good, good enough Trijicon bought a license to use it.
DatChuan
II

I have seen using ACOGs on T91s
Sardaukar
I

Gents,

The scope in the photo posted by Jpurp is a Leupold Prismatic Military Tactical 1x14mm riflescope. It was Leupold’s attempt to compete with Aimpoint. Saw several use them in my unit Iraq early 2000’s. They held up ok, extremely clear optic, but had terrible battery life. Maybe 120 hours, if that. The big plus for them is that the circle dot is etched in the glass, so if the battery goes dead, you can still use it (unlike the Aimpoint). They didn’t win any military contracts for it and did not sell well in the civilian / police market. I recall reading in Jane’s Defence weekly that Taiwan bought up Leupold’s remaining stock, as well as licensing to make their own copies.

I picked up one almost new at an estate sale the other month for my T91 I’m putting together, but I see them occasionally on Gun Broker.

Here’s a good info link if interested.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/optics/leupold-prismatic-1x14-riflescope/