Wolf T91 piston upper accuracy issue

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Sardaukar
I

Question for the hive mind who have a Wolf T91 Piston upper. Took it out and frankly, was dismayed with the accuracy. After zeroing at 25yd.s with Federal 55gr FMJ, Aimpoint red dot., I got around 6in Groups at 100 yd.s (5rd.s) from the bench using sandbags. I had several old Tula 62gr. rds that I tried and the groups shrank down to slightly over 2 inches. It’s supposed to have a 1:7 twist, which I thought was good with 55gr. ammo from what I have read, but is this not the case with the Wolf upper?

BTW, tried the federal ammo in the wife’s lightweight AR-15 and got a 5 rd 1 1/2” group at 100yd.s, so the ammo appears fine.
Sardaukar
I

Update. Well it likes Aussie 62gr. surplus M855/SS-109 and really loves IMI 77 Grain OTM. Very respectable groups, moreso with the 77. Obviously heavy bullets are the way to go. Still pretty bad with any 55gr. M193 mfg I’ve used so far, but will keep trying..
apex
L

Strange. All of mine like 55gr, and a 1:7 twist in a 16in and shorter is fine for 55gr. 1:7 is better-suited for 62gr but the difference shouldn't be a 4moa shift at 100yd. What kind of muzzle device do you have on? I run the T91 muzzles on mine, but I did try a slip-over faux XM-177 flash hider on my 16in for looks a few years back. That thing wrecked my barrel harmonics so bad I was shooting a 15moa at 300yd with 55gr (can't compare different rounds since I only shoot 55gr). Once I took it off I was back to hitting 6-7moa at 300yd. This was bipod benchrest shooting.
Sardaukar
I

Apex, Sorry for the delay.

I currently have the issued T91 muzzle brake/ flash hider, however, I ordered a Vortex flash hider for it as have noticed that most AR’s will tighten up groups with one on. Maybe only a 1/4”, up to a whole inch. Varies a lot in my experience. Maybe will be the same improvement with a piston driven system. We will see what happens and will post results.

I’m happy with the Aussie 62gr., as well as the IMI 77gr., but I like to wring out as much accuracy from my rifles / carbines as possible, regardless of bullet weight.
😎