Zeroing

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Arkane
C

My Windham .0606 front sight post came in today. On visual exam using the top of both as a reference point it eliminates roughly half the height of the "tall drum" Wolf sight, so I'm thinking this will be usable. I won't know until I get to the range for a couple of weeks due to the wife having surgery. Once I get it in and zeroed I'll post an update.
rchen404
II

Got the upper back from Wolf. They swapped out the entire barrel and barrel assembly. Pretty quick turnaround. I did the cleaning rod in fsp hole test. Looks straight this time! Hope I don't have to unscrew all the way out to zero for elevation.

So far, very happy with customer service.
e292644
Site Admin

@onion20@
Iamscotticus
L

rchen404 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm Got the upper back from Wolf. They swapped out the entire barrel and barrel assembly. Pretty quick turnaround. I did the cleaning rod in fsp hole test. Looks straight this time! Hope I don't have to unscrew all the way out to zero for elevation.

Did you have any tight chambering issues? Did Wolf address that?
rchen404
II

Iamscotticus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm
rchen404 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm Got the upper back from Wolf. They swapped out the entire barrel and barrel assembly. Pretty quick turnaround. I did the cleaning rod in fsp hole test. Looks straight this time! Hope I don't have to unscrew all the way out to zero for elevation.

Did you have any tight chambering issues? Did Wolf address that?
I didn't have chamber issues but I did not shoot steel. Maybe I should try. Hope I don't become a huge pain in the ass for wolf
Prelude
II

Just realized that I have the same canted front sight post issue.
Tried to look for Wolf RMA warranty service on their website but no luck.
May I know where do you find their customer service email/contact?
Thanks!
e292644
Site Admin

You should be able to call them directly: 888-757-9653
Wolf website
rchen404
II

finally got a chance to rezero my "new" rifle. Started at 25 yd. The rear sight still needs to be dialed about 25% to the left. This is not good. A $500 upper should zero around the mechanical zero. I was going to buy the SBR upper but I don't know now. checked the front sight post by sticking a cleaning rod in there again, it looks straight this time. so what the hell could be causing this? canted rails? even if it was canted rails, fixing the front sight post should have at least partially mitigated the problem.
Arkane
C

FWIW I pulled both my barrels and lapped my uppers and it made a recognizable difference in accuracy.
rchen404
II

Arkane wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:30 pm FWIW I pulled both my barrels and lapped my uppers and it made a recognizable difference in accuracy.
Wow I don't even really know what that means. It seems ok in terms of accuracy. I could get nice groups and even rounds to touch. Just bothers me I have to adjust the windage halfway to the left to get it to zero.
e292644
Site Admin

IMHO 25% still acceptable unless you are not able to zero it.
rchen404
II

e292644 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 pm IMHO 25% still acceptable unless you are not able to zero it.

I've heard spec is 12 clicks. Are the clicks same on every type of sight? It's more like 20 clicks on the Magpul...
e292644
Site Admin

Not sure about that. Each manufacturer may have their own or different thread for the sight adjustment,
Arkane
C

rchen404 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:31 pm
Arkane wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:30 pm FWIW I pulled both my barrels and lapped my uppers and it made a recognizable difference in accuracy.
Wow I don't even really know what that means. It seems ok in terms of accuracy. I could get nice groups and even rounds to touch. Just bothers me I have to adjust the windage halfway to the left to get it to zero.
It's the process of truing the face of the upper to ensure it has as close to a perfectly flat mating face for the barrel extension as possible. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Does it improve the accuracy? On some rifles more than others, a lot of it depends on the quality of the upper and barrel extension to begin with,

This is what I use:

DatChuan
II

Just scrolling through old posts about zeroing it, I ordered Wolf A1 upper 4 days ago, still waiting to ship, I just wonder if all the problems (front sight post will go lose after disassembling and then reinstalling, rear sight post have to go really left in order to get zero) is still exist on their new products. @onion19@