Can the upper receiver finish be matched?

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Bret
I

I have a 12.5" T91 upper half. I'm planning on making it in to an SBR. I already purchased an A1 lower receiver from Brownells. The Wolf A1 upper receiver seems to have some kind of textured painted finish. I'm assuming it was finished that way in the factory in Taiwan. Does anyone know of a firearms refinisher that can duplicate the finish here in the US?
e292644
Site Admin

Should be very easy to re-finish any way you want.
Deplorable
II

I have used thermal cured Moly Resin (Norrell). I have sprayed lowers in their semi gloss and flat black. The flat black is a close match...it don't think you will get an exact.

It also depends on how its applied, If I spray it on light and farther away , with the item pre-heated above the recommended 100 degrees, you get a more flat appearance similar to the Wolf upper.

Here's what I plan to do....refinish the Wolf upper the same as the lower. I plan to leave the barrel on, but strip off everything else. May go with Norrell's grayish black semi gloss. I used it on some mini-30 mags for my Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 and they really look good. If you bake that color longer and hotter, it gives it a green hue.

Per the upper tear down. I have yet to figure out how they got the ejection port cover on...there is no c clip holding it in place....

Sorry I cant help with info on someone who could match your lower to the wolf upper. They would have to have an FFL, since you are shipping a "firearm" in the stripped lower.
dmsdog
II

US Anodizing can strip and refinish the anodizing to match an upper.
Bret
I

Deplorable, refinishing both is an option. It would just be nice if there was a way to get a close match without having to go that route.

dmsdog, the finish on the upper receiver doesn't appear to be anodized. It looks to be painted instead.
shaocaholica
L

Are the Wolf uppers really painted? The texture could be from more aggressive blasting before anodization. If you scratch it, you will definitely know if its paint or not. Now I'm actually tempted to strip mine down and re-anodize not just to match but to get rid of the Wolf markings.