New A1 failure to feed

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

SIMODshooter
II

I have four A1 14.5 uppers...

I zeroed the first one two weeks ago and had failure to feed on the left side feed ramp. It did the same thing as MAC/Tim had on his review. Pushed nose.of bullet in. I was using Troy Industries Battle mags.
And 55grain ball ammo.

Zeroing the other three next time out.

Curious if it is an issue with the poly mag.

Has anyone polished the feed ramps and cut them down slightly lower? It only happens on the left side feeding. I had four failures in 200rounds.

Other than the four gun one ran flawless. Strange to not have as much heat and gas from the chamber.

Thanks
apex
L

If it happens with a different mag it might be that the barrel extension was not timed correctly and the left feed ramp is off enough to cause an FTF.
What brand of ammo are you using?
Arkane
C

I have to ask - Tula ammo?
SIMODshooter
II

Federal white box 55grain... i did run a magazine of steel case with no issue.

Zero issues with the aluminum GI spec magazine I brought.

The tip was getting stuck literally right below the right side feed ramp. First time I cleared it and kept going. Second I actually looked at it close before clearing it. The last two same exact place.

Looked like if the feed ramp was tampered down slightly it would be fine.
apex
L

How large is the gap between the upper and the lower?
This is how a normal mag should sit- the tip of the dummy round is about 2mm higher than the bottom of the feed ramp.
IMG_0995.jpg
Outlined the tip of the dummy round for your convenience:
IMG_0996.jpg
This mag is a C-Product steel GI magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gg5k
I

i had this exact issue with a friend's 14.5 upper, was happening with my asc mags, never happened when using my lancers. would always be left side round regardless of m193 or reman stuff, a firm tap to the bottom of the mag would cause the round to jump up and feed, did have a couple where the round did get set back into the casing though, figured it's just a magazine issue, though interesting seeing this very exact hiccup described by someone else.
SIMODshooter
II

After watching MAC/Tim have the same failure with a mag I think it was the Troy Mags. I sold them.

Need to go back out and run all four guns to break them in and sight them again. I just added 45 degree back up sights to mine.
schuang
II

Hi I am new to here. I have the similar feeding issue from time to time on my 12.5 upper. I suspect it is due to too fast of cycling speed using the regular buffer. I think because bolt closes too fast before magazine spring can feed the ammo in the chamber properly. I am going to try H2 buffer for the next few session and report back here.

Sean
apex
L

schuang wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:58 am Hi I am new to here. I have the similar feeding issue from time to time on my 12.5 upper. I suspect it is due to too fast of cycling speed using the regular buffer. I think because bolt closes too fast before magazine spring can feed the ammo in the chamber properly. I am going to try H2 buffer for the next few session and report back here.

Sean
What ammunition are you using? My 14.5 did the same thing with Wolf Poly 55gr FMJ, and needed a custom 7.5oz carbine buffer for it to cycle correctly. However, since I decided to switch to brass (thanks to current ammo situation @onion19@ ), Norma 55gr FMJ .223, Frontier 5.56 M193, and IWI M93 all cycled fine with just a 3oz buffer. I even threw in some KNS anti-rotation pins I had lying around from another build, and those would always cause so much friction on the bolt on the previous build that it would short stroke... but on the 14.5? Nope! Ran like a champ with the KNS pins + Norma + 3oz buffer + standard carbine spring.
@onion35@

Anyways, easiest solution is to throw in an H2 (actually H2s are widely recommended on piston ARs) and see what happens.
schuang
II

It is for sure ammo sensitive cause I am shooting with my own reload. I had a flawless few hundred runs with 55gr everglade bullet with 22gr H355 powder. As soon as I switched to Barnes HP 40gr with 26gr powder, the problem start showing up. I suspect it's over-gas with later load so heavier buffer should help as well.
schuang
II

Update: Even with H2 buffer and carbine chrome silicon spring swap, the feed problem still exists.... @onion13@

While cleaning T91 after shooting, I noticed there is a small gap between barrel feed ramp and receiver on the left side ramp (for my case, the bullet pushes inside of the case always happened on the left side of the feed). It prompts me to noticed that it always happened with HP bullet only -- the front edge of Hollow Point bullet occasionally catches the small gap causes all of my grief. I would think the pointed-nose-type bullet would probably do the similar thing (BTW everglade's Ver4 bullet is not quite pointed so they don't jam)

Furthermore, I did online search and found something interesting. I may just fix it as M4 ramp....

Sean
ar15barrels_feedramps2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apex
L

schuang wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am It prompts me to noticed that it always happened with HP bullet only -- the front edge of Hollow Point bullet occasionally catches the small gap causes all of my grief
Don't use hollow points or any open-tip projectiles in T91s. This is a common and known issue- they don't play well because of the feed ramps.
SIMODshooter
II

I wonder if the left side feed ramp can be modified? Mine did it only on left side... I bought the dam think for no DI and more reliability based on it being a military upper basically.

See how mine does next week with GI mags only.

I also added some pic rail to the oem handguns and vickers tactical sling. And hosed it down in spay paint camo.
apex
L

Sure it can be modified, if you have a file or a dremel lying around (do not attempt). @onion9@
In all seriousness though you could always change the barrel extension to one with M4 ramps IF YOU ARE OR KNOW A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH WHO CAN PERFORM THIS INSTALLMENT. I stress this because fiddling with the extension is messing with the headspacing which if incorrect, could cause a kaboom.

Safest option is to not use hollow point/open tip ammo and stick with FMJ or anything else that has a pointy rounded nose.
e292644
Site Admin

Anyone having the feeding issues please share some photos like this one please.
ar15barrels_feedramps2.jpg