Few issues with my clone

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

P89Thomas
II

Hey everyone, finally completed my clone this evening, had a few questions, may he a few dumb questions sprinkled in, it's my personal 1st build all the way through, but here goes.

My build is a 16" wolf with T91tactical lower, and all other lower parts.

Has anyone had an issue with the rear takedown pin being super stiff? Pushing it out takes a punch and hammer to remove. I'm using the T91tactical 80% lower, and it seems like those holes are tight, but reasonably tight. I'll have to take the buffer apart to remove the pin and see if the upper is the culprit.

2nd question. It seems as if my selector switch is drilled off-center for the detent grooves. If I'm on S,1,2,A, it doesn't align with the arrow, it's a few degrees off on every selection. Is that something I can adjust?

Last one, I promise. The H2 counter-tilt buffer is contacting the bcg 100% of the time, so much to the point where if I take the rear takedown pin out, it's connecting with the bcg, so the upper can't be pivoted up. I have to remove the front pivot pin, and then the upper and lower separates. Is that as simple as a buffer tube adjustment?

You'd think I'd have some sort of knowledge being in the Army for 5 years, being a secondary armorer, and being issued an M16A2 (we were air defense, we got the old stuff, haha.) This is my first foray into the AR world after 3 years in Taiwan as a contractor.
apex
L

P89Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm Has anyone had an issue with the rear takedown pin being super stiff? Pushing it out takes a punch and hammer to remove. I'm using the T91tactical 80% lower, and it seems like those holes are tight, but reasonably tight. I'll have to take the buffer apart to remove the pin and see if the upper is the culprit.
Depending on whichever jig you used to complete the lower, your rear takedown pin holes may be just a little too small- I've seen this happen before. Disassemble the lower takedown pin assembly, separate the lower and upper, and put the takedown pin through the upper's pin hole, then slide it through the lower's two holes to see if one of them is tight. You will get one of three results:
1. The pin does not slide well through the upper hole- the upper hole is too small and needs to be widened (least likely)
2. The pin does not slide well through the lower holes- the lower holes are too small and need to be widened (most likely)
3. The pin slides perfectly fine through both the lower and upper holes- the holes on the lower are misaligned (unlikely)
If 1 or 2 happen, simply drill out the hole with correct size bit (I don't remember the size, but just compare the bit size to your takedown pin diameter and you should be gold) to either the lower or upper holes
NOTE however, taking the drill to the upper may void the 1-year warranty.
If number 3 happens... well, you're lower is trashed.
There's also the possibility of the upper's hole being misaligned, but I'm going to rule this one out because the likelihood of that happening vs the lower holes on an 80 being incorrect is FAR more likely... no offence.
@onion2@
P89Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm 2nd question. It seems as if my selector switch is drilled off-center for the detent grooves. If I'm on S,1,2,A, it doesn't align with the arrow, it's a few degrees off on every selection. Is that something I can adjust?
Have witnessed many a selector not being drilled 100% accurately, happens more often than you think, even on the "gucci" rifles. There's no way to fix this and it's more of a "quality of life" issue. That said, drop the T91Tac support team an email and see if they can help you out [[email protected]]. Personally I would not worry about this unless the selector is off by a stupid amount like >10 degrees, or if you're someone who cares more about the rifle's appearance than its function.
P89Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm Last one, I promise. The H2 counter-tilt buffer is contacting the bcg 100% of the time, so much to the point where if I take the rear takedown pin out, it's connecting with the bcg, so the upper can't be pivoted up. I have to remove the front pivot pin, and then the upper and lower separates. Is that as simple as a buffer tube adjustment?
No, that is the point of a counter-tilt/nippled buffer. The extended nipple mates with the rear of the carrier to ensure a snug fit and provides a contact point so the carrier does not "seesaw" and dig into the buffer tube when the oprod strikes the tombstone (gas key) on the carrier during rearward travel. This is a problem in all piston-driven ARs and cannot be 100% solved without a complete redesign of the carrier, but can be mitigated in (as of now) 3 different ways:
1. nippled buffer (you are here)- this is the best option for buffer tube longevity but you lose one-pin takedown
2. carrier cradle buffer tube- I personally run these and I find these to be the better solution. The lower section of the buffer tube is extended to support the carrier while it's in battery, this provides less room for the carrier to "seesaw" and supports it for a longer section of the cycling stroke. Downside of this is the detent pin is kind of a pain to install and (as far as I know) only 3 companies make them and they are only carbine tubes:
Aero (least expensive) https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-e ... buffer-kit
POF https://pof-usa.com/feature/anti-tilt-buffer-tube/
PWS (most expensive) https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-6667
You can also combine options 1 and 2 for even MORE mitigation!
@onion9@ ...but this still leaves you with problem 1.

3. an HK or LWRC piston carrier- a radical approach used by HK and LWRC in their piston ARs, they simply made the rear section of the carrier wider so it fits better inside the buffer tube. See picture of an LWRC 5.56 carrier below:
Note, I'm not sure if these two carriers are compatible with a T91, so use at your own risk (these are also stupidly expensive).
@onion37@
If you want one-pin takedown back, ditch the nippled buffer and run one of those buffer tubes I linked + an H2 weighted standard AR buffer (they're around $35 from Brownells).
If you want to buy them both in one place, Primary Arms has both (as of this post in stock too)
https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precis ... uffer-tube
if you don't want expo buffer, they have an Aero H2
https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precis ... ght-4.65oz
if you don't want Aero, they also have a PWS H2 buffer (steel housing with a single large weight as opposed to aluminum housing with 3 weights)
https://www.primaryarms.com/pws-enhance ... ffer-4-4oz
and the tube
https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-h ... buffer-fde
or if you'd rather have the POF tube
https://www.primaryarms.com/p-o-f-usa-m ... n-pof00342
(personally I think the Aero is better, not only because of cost, because Aero uses a slicker anodizing texture, but POF will match your receiver's anodizing better)

Well that's all I've got, hope this essay of a post helps
@onion6@
P89Thomas
II

Apex, Thanks! I'll give the takedown holes a good once-over today! I believe it should be a .250 diameter hole. I tried just the pin through the lower itself yesterday, and it was snug, but doable with just fingers. I'll check a bit more today if anything's misaligned, may just need a small amount of sanding. I'd still rather it be too tight, than too loose.

As for the selector, it's a good amount off, but nothing that affects functionality which I am okay with. I'll post some pictures later today.

Buffer wise that makes sense. I know piston uppers have carrier tilt issues and the anti-tilt buffer remedies that, I was just used to the smooth face of the VERY well worn-in M16'S we had in the Army, lol. Anyways, giving it a few magazines today to check cycling.

Thanks for the help!
Arkane
C

P89Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm Hey everyone, finally completed my clone this evening, had a few questions, may he a few dumb questions sprinkled in, it's my personal 1st build all the way through, but here goes.

Has anyone had an issue with the rear takedown pin being super stiff? Pushing it out takes a punch and hammer to remove. I'm using the T91tactical 80% lower, and it seems like those holes are tight, but reasonably tight. I'll have to take the buffer apart to remove the pin and see if the upper is the culprit.

2nd question. It seems as if my selector switch is drilled off-center for the detent grooves. If I'm on S,1,2,A, it doesn't align with the arrow, it's a few degrees off on every selection. Is that something I can adjust?

Last one, I promise. The H2 counter-tilt buffer is contacting the bcg 100% of the time, so much to the point where if I take the rear takedown pin out, it's connecting with the bcg, so the upper can't be pivoted up. I have to remove the front pivot pin, and then the upper and lower separates. Is that as simple as a buffer tube adjustment?

You'd think I'd have some sort of knowledge being in the Army for 5 years, being a secondary armorer, and being issued an M16A2 (we were air defense, we got the old stuff, haha.) This is my first foray into the AR world after 3 years in Taiwan as a contractor.
Dang Duckhunters - give 'em something simple and they mess it up! When you built the lower did you give the rear TD pin slot a good coat of 64MS? It helps a lot. It will eventually wear in.

I used an ambi selector, so can't help yo there but the Heavy Buffer is designed to mate to the rear of the BCG. It makes "shotgunning" the rifle a NOGO, so you have to pull both pins to get the BCG out. FWIW I have over a thousand rounds though mine now and zero evidence of tilt using the nippled heavy buffer and POF anti tilt tube.
P89Thomas
II

Here's the photo of the selector, all of the selections are the same amount off
20200816_071201.jpg
20200816_071207.jpg
20200816_071211.jpg
20200816_071216.jpg
Again. Still functions, just wondering if that was normal. No big deal.

Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P89Thomas
II

Arkane wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:22 am
P89Thomas wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 pm Hey everyone, finally completed my clone this evening, had a few questions, may he a few dumb questions sprinkled in, it's my personal 1st build all the way through, but here goes.

Dang Duckhunters - give 'em something simple and they mess it up! When you built the lower did you give the rear TD pin slot a good coat of 64MS? It helps a lot. It will eventually wear in.

I used an ambi selector, so can't help yo there but the Heavy Buffer is designed to mate to the rear of the BCG. It makes "shotgunning" the rifle a NOGO, so you have to pull both pins to get the BCG out. FWIW I have over a thousand rounds though mine now and zero evidence of tilt using the nippled heavy buffer and POF anti tilt tube.

Hey, we just let the computers do 90% of the work, lol! If we have to use our rifles, then the shtf already! Luckily I was maintenance, and not one of those dirty operators. I actually do the same job now, just as a contractor luckily, hahaha.

I did give the pin slot a little lube, but I guess not enough. Giving it a good once over with fresh caffeinated eyes, I suspect my buddy who did the cerakote on the lower may not have masked quite as well as I would have. Again. No harm, no foul.

The bcg mating to the buffer makes more sense now that I looked at it today, and all the helpful info here.

Thanks again, guys!
apex
L

Okay, that selector is pretty bad.
Arkane
C

Is the selector positively engaging the detent in each position? If so chances are the pin locator dimples were milled a hair off.
P89Thomas
II

Arkane wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:47 pm Is the selector positively engaging the detent in each position? If so chances are the pin locator dimples were milled a hair off.
Yeah. They're engaging for sure. Sean had a new one on the way on the same day! Just received it today, and will install tonight.

Going to zero it on Saturday. Ran a few magazines through it on Sunday, short stroked the first round, but the rest fired without any issues. Shoots really great.
Arkane
C

P89Thomas wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 am
Arkane wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:47 pm Is the selector positively engaging the detent in each position? If so chances are the pin locator dimples were milled a hair off.
Yeah. They're engaging for sure. Sean had a new one on the way on the same day! Just received it today, and will install tonight.

Going to zero it on Saturday. Ran a few magazines through it on Sunday, short stroked the first round, but the rest fired without any issues. Shoots really great.
Short stroking that first round is usual. Even with scrubbing the heck out of mine before taking them to the range for some reason that first round fired always either FTE or short strokes. Doing a mag dump with the rest of the mag breaks it in ;)