Failure to feed

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Mentch
I

Good afternoon,

I took my 16 inch barrel Wolf upper rifle build out for its maiden voyage and sighting in. The round count was low and I'm experiencing feeding issues where the rounds seem to be hanging up on the feed ramp and three rounds had the bullet set back into the case with case mouths deformed. There seemed to be copper on the feed ramp on the barrel extension. There was no issue with extraction and ejection (I shoot left handed as well with no brass to face). Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks in advance.
apex
L

What magazines and what ammo are you using?
If it's hollow point or open tip, there's your problem.
More information/explanation here:
viewtopic.php?p=1545#p1545
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=432
Mentch
I

I was using the Brownell's aluminum mags and shooting IMI 69 grain razor core and Norma 55 grain fmj.
apex
L

Did you specifically have any FTFs with the Norma or was your ammo mixed? I've used a lot of this ammo before in all of mine and had no FTFs, and I run C-Product steel GI mags, which I think use the same Magpul follower as Brownells.
The IMI Razor Core however will definitely cause FTF, and will snag on the feed ramps.

Side note- I did notice that Norma's 55gr FMJ projectile IS slightly shorter than most other manufacturers. If your upper and lower have a large gap between them the Norma's projectile length may be an accessory to the problem.

Edit: side note #2- if the Norma isn't giving you any issues, I've also found that this ammo is one of the few that actually extracts correctly and bounces off the minimalist deflector the Wolf/T91 has, and ejects at around 2 o-clock; a definite plus since you indicated you're a southpaw shooter.
Mentch
I

The ammo issues were with the IMI ammo. I do not recall issues with the Norma. I will flesh this out some more. I'm out of Norma ammo. I will look for a substitute.
apex
L

Mentch wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:36 pm The ammo issues were with the IMI ammo. I do not recall issues with the Norma. I will flesh this out some more. I'm out of Norma ammo. I will look for a substitute.
That'll do it. Understandably the ammo situation is a bit FUBAR right now, but don't feed your Wolf/T91 any hollow points or open-tip ammo.
jahinkl
I

I'm experiencing this same problem with m855 and aluminum mags. I'm experiencing it with multiple mags that aren't having trouble in other rifles