Hard Chroming?

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Arkane
C

Has anyone looked at having the piston head hard chromed? I spoke with a guy yesterday that does firearms and he ballparked $50 + shipping to have it done.
t44e6
II

I figured on using the ultrasonic to clean as needed. $50 pays for a lot of cleaning! Interesting thought though. Meloniting is another option but requires heat treating as well.
e292644
Site Admin

Interesting, have you seeing significant wear on piston head? If you can provide more info like sign of wear after xxxx rounds count, I may ask factory look into that and chrome it during manufacturing process.
Arkane wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm Has anyone looked at having the piston head hard chromed? I spoke with a guy yesterday that does firearms and he ballparked $50 + shipping to have it done.
Jiro
II

Arkane wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm Has anyone looked at having the piston head hard chromed? I spoke with a guy yesterday that does firearms and he ballparked $50 + shipping to have it done.
Not piston head but would you mind asking him what it would be to HC the bolt and carrier with S/H and provide a link or contact info?
I am looking at having this done.
Thank you.
Arkane
C

2,000 rounds of PMC X-tac 62g and the piston head has lost it's finish on the wear surfaces, I don't think these are getting the nitriding like the barrels are. If the factory can hard chrome the head and interior of the valve that would be great. Heck it'd be even better if they hard chrome the entire piston assembly and switch to chrome silicon springs. I'm not doing anything super abrasive when cleaning, just CLP, a scrubbing with a brass brush, then 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner with dawn and hot water.

I'll get in touch with my chromer for a quote on a BC and bolt. FYI I run an Adams NiB carrier with the stock Wolf bolt and really haven't seen wear on the bolt beyond more than what I would consider normal wear, quite the opposite it seems to be wearing in well.
Jiro
II

Arkane wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 pm 2,000 rounds of PMC X-tac 62g and the piston head has lost it's finish on the wear surfaces, I don't think these are getting the nitriding like the barrels are. If the factory can hard chrome the head and interior of the valve that would be great. Heck it'd be even better if they hard chrome the entire piston assembly and switch to chrome silicon springs. I'm not doing anything super abrasive when cleaning, just CLP, a scrubbing with a brass brush, then 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner with dawn and hot water.

I'll get in touch with my chromer for a quote on a BC and bolt. FYI I run an Adams NiB carrier with the stock Wolf bolt and really haven't seen wear on the bolt beyond more than what I would consider normal wear, quite the opposite it seems to be wearing in well.
That would be two bolts and carriers if it make a price difference. I read where someone was indeed running the Adams carrier without issue. I would just rather have the carriers and bolts I have now chromed, NiB or at least nitrided for the ease of clean up and surface slickness over the current parked parts.
Not that those are inferior.
Appreciate your time.
e292644
Site Admin

Copy that, I will report you guys suggestions chrome the entire piston system and BCG back to factory and see what can they do. Appreciate your feed back.
Arkane
C

Jiro wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:16 pmNot piston head but would you mind asking him what it would be to HC the bolt and carrier with S/H and provide a link or contact info?
Thank you.
I didn't know they actually had a website, they list an AR15 Bolt & Carrier as $160 http://originalmetaloy.com/pricing.html
Jiro
II

Arkane wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am
Jiro wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:16 pmNot piston head but would you mind asking him what it would be to HC the bolt and carrier with S/H and provide a link or contact info?
Thank you.
I didn't know they actually had a website, they list an AR15 Bolt & Carrier as $160 http://originalmetaloy.com/pricing.html
That’s acceptable to me and not very far away. I will be sending these off to be refinished.
e292644
Site Admin

Please don't forget to show us some photos after you get it done, Thanks!
Jiro wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 am
That’s acceptable to me and not very far away. I will be sending these off to be refinished.
Kaztma
II

How much larger will the hard chrome make the piston? Mine is a nice snug fit without any slop. I would think the HC would make it larger and not fit in the plug.
Arkane
C

My understanding is that the thickness of the plating is around .002", so we're dealing with something like .004" or so additional thickness overall. I sent an email asking for specifics as far as thickness, etc. Once they reply I'll post their response.

Jiiro, you're close to Berryville?
Arkane
C

The response I got was what I figured the thickness would be, .0002 (my numbers above omitted a zero, DOH!). So that is an increase in diameter of .0004". I don't think it will impact fit or function.
t44e6
II

I think QPQ Meloniting would be a better option than chroming based on my experience.
Jiro
II

Arkane wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 pm My understanding is that the thickness of the plating is around .002", so we're dealing with something like .004" or so additional thickness overall. I sent an email asking for specifics as far as thickness, etc. Once they reply I'll post their response.

Jiiro, you're close to Berryville?
About 550 miles. I communicated with Mr. Peters about this job and it’ll be $320 +S/H to get these done.