Barrel nut threads?

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

FlatDarkWolf
I

Does anyone know if the barrel nut threading on the Wolf A1 is standard AR15?

My local shop does some modification and custom fabing, and they may be able to make a Samson rail work on the Wolf A1 due to it being designed to fit pistons. But it would require a standard barrel nut.

It would be great to get these uppers free floated, and I dont think it would take much effort from any of the more well known rail makers if we could just get someone to design one. @onion35@
e292644
Site Admin

It's same as standard AR-15. Which model/series are you going to mount?
FlatDarkWolf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm Does anyone know if the barrel nut threading on the Wolf A1 is standard AR15?

My local shop does some modification and custom fabing, and they may be able to make a Samson rail work on the Wolf A1 due to it being designed to fit pistons. But it would require a standard barrel nut.

It would be great to get these uppers free floated, and I dont think it would take much effort from any of the more well known rail makers if we could just get someone to design one. @onion35@
FlatDarkWolf
I

e292644 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm It's same as standard AR-15. Which model/series are you going to mount?
FlatDarkWolf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm Does anyone know if the barrel nut threading on the Wolf A1 is standard AR15?

Well my local shop usually uses Samson rails, as for model, I’m not sure yet. I’m thinking depending on barrel but dimensions and clearance for the piston that we could make a few rails work from a few different companies. I’ll have my guys look at a Samson, maybe MLok model.

I actually don’t have a Wolf A1 on hand right now, but it seems like maximum rail length is going to be 8-8.5in before hitting the gas block right? Unless a rail is cut for the block.
e292644
Site Admin

Correct, it's about 8.5" in length. Only part need to verify is ID has to be minimum 2" height top to bottom. Which may be the issue.
FlatDarkWolf
I

e292644 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 pm Correct, it's about 8.5" in length. Only part need to verify is ID has to be minimum 2" height top to bottom. Which may be the issue.
How wide is the piston/sleeve assembly itself? Some rails are so low that the piston would be riding in the channel under the top rail. I’m think a modified USGI barrel nut may work, which is what Adams Arms designed their piston to function with. Then any rail that takes a normal USGI barrel nut to install could potentially work if it has the clearance. Samson rails that use the USGI nut have a wide enough channel for a piston.
e292644
Site Admin

Sleeve is about 0.55" in diameter.
e292644
Site Admin

Another issue you may experiencing is the top rail height, T91/Wolf A1 flat top made higher than standard AR-15 upper which made it not 100% compatible with most of the AR-15 accessories.
Iamscotticus
L

Hk 516 height?
e292644
Site Admin

Not sure about that, but Sig 516 handguard may works but they never reply my inquire about the inner dimension.
Lancer CF handguard may also work for T91 upper but for sure there will be some modification involved.
Iamscotticus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am Hk 516 height?
FlatDarkWolf
I

e292644 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am Not sure about that, but Sig 516 handguard may works but they never reply my inquire about the inner dimension.
Lancer CF handguard may also work for T91 upper but for sure there will be some modification involved.
Iamscotticus wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am Hk 516 height?
This is good to know. Once I get one of these in hand, Ill for sure run it by my local guys. They may be able to figure something out.

In the meantime, I hope the plans for an M-Lok drop in handguard are going well. That would work great too.

I also wonder if it would be possible to modify a standard AR15 upper to accept the piston. Does anyone know why exactly the Taiwanese use that riveted piece?
e292644
Site Admin

Rivet piece just a metal plate guide for the piston rod. If you want to modify it, you can always find something else to replace that.
FlatDarkWolf wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pm This is good to know. Once I get one of these in hand, Ill for sure run it by my local guys. They may be able to figure something out.
In the meantime, I hope the plans for an M-Lok drop in handguard are going well. That would work great too.
I also wonder if it would be possible to modify a standard AR15 upper to accept the piston. Does anyone know why exactly the Taiwanese use that riveted piece?