Has anyone removed the front sight block yet?

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Deplorable
II

I'm tearing most of my upper down for a coating of Moly Resin.

I'm also thinking of reversing the front sight when I re-install it. (I'm OCD about the direction of the slant. IMHO it would look better reversed)

Has anyone removed theirs yet? Looks to be simple roll pin and dovetail.

Since we're on the subject, Anyone know how to take down the spring loaded gas retainer thing under the front sight? Looks to be a pin on the right side that may need to come out.

Thanks!
e292644
Site Admin

Don't think reversing FSB will work since gas-piston rod can only insert from the front end.
As for the retainer, you are correct. Just punch the pin out and you are good to go.
Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm I'm tearing most of my upper down for a coating of Moly Resin.

I'm also thinking of reversing the front sight when I re-install it. (I'm OCD about the direction of the slant. IMHO it would look better reversed)

Has anyone removed theirs yet? Looks to be simple roll pin and dovetail.

Since we're on the subject, Anyone know how to take down the spring loaded gas retainer thing under the front sight? Looks to be a pin on the right side that may need to come out.

Thanks!
Deplorable
II

I answered my first question. I used a Brownells 3/16" roll pin punch to drift the front site block pin out towards the front.

Flipped it around and replaced pin from rear to front. Now my OCD is satisfied. I think it also keeps the front sight post more in the shadow of a cross light.

IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
e292644
Site Admin

Ahh, sorry, I thought reverse the entire FSB. my bad. :x

And for sure it looks better than original. @onion20@
Deplorable
II

I figured...

On the original T-91 I think your analysis would have been correct. But as there is no slant...no need.

On a side note...If I never have to re-seat that hand guard pin again It'll be too soon! Just cant find the damn holes.....
e292644
Site Admin

New handguard are very tight when it's new. All you need to do is stand the rifle up right and pull both pieces toward receiver to seat it into handguard cap. Especially top one you may need rubber hammer to give it a little bit help. ;-)
Iamscotticus
L

Looks better. The cant of the ears mimics the line of the hand grip.
Now would someone please knock out a flip sight?
amd_dude
I

Is the front sight block pin in the hole directly under the sight, parallel with the barrel?
e292644
Site Admin

Correct, under and parallel with barrel.
amd_dude wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 pm Is the front sight block pin in the hole directly under the sight, parallel with the barrel?