Proud Wolf A1 12.5 Owner

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

coletam
I

Just got in my Wolf A1 12.5 upper from Classic Firearms the other day. Had very little free time to tinker with it but so far:
WolfA1.jpg
I definitely like the clean, utilitarian yet still aesthetically pleasing look of it. To to me it has an 552 Commando appearance to it, which I'm modeling and basing my prospective ARPistol build after. I guess due to the ribbed (for her/his pleasure :P) hand guard form factor?
WolfA1a.jpg
WolfA1b.jpg
Was torn between the SBA3 or the SOB brace
WolfA1c.jpg
Although the SOB would give it the triangular stock look, ultimately the SBA3 with its adjustment capability is much more flexible, so went with that.

Also found this HK style rotating drum rear sight from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... x?psize=96

So far changed out the dust cover to a Strike Industries polymer and put a SilencerCo ASR 3 prong flash hider

Still playing with the timing, shims and such. I noticed that against the barrel shoulder, it is rounded. It deformed and rounded off / concaved the shims I put against it when just test hand tightening the flash hider against it. I don't know if that will present an issue since it is not truly flat. The original...I guess "lock / indexing nut" that came with the bird cage flash hider, although it is not a crush washer. I wonder if their intent of using it is because both sides are "flat" or rather much flatter than the rounded barrel shoulder, so to provided a much flatter surface to mount FH / MB too?

Basically if anyone can chime in what their experience with mounting different FH / MB with. Did you keep the use of the original "lock / indexing nut" or whatever that is, or did away with it completely?

My only real complaint is, and although I do like the clean simple look and especially the form factor of hand guard. That unlike the 552 Commando which appears to have attachment points to screw pic rail sections into. Aside from that small section on top of the hand guard with the 2 thread holes for the grenade launcher sight, there seems very limited options for mounting accessories. Other than changing to a quad pic rail or key mod / m-lok, which I noticed is offered here in the store page (just rarely in stock from my understanding). But I have no intention of ever changing to, or rather that particular form factor offered here. Seems I will have to come up with some kitchen gun smithing with some pic rail sections in order to mount a light / PEQ box. I wonder what the Taiwanese Army solution or rather doctrine and tactics for low light / night fighting i.e. NVG is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iamscotticus
L

Hi.
Welcome to T-91 world.
I have an American Sig 556 Classic, So I get the piston 5.56 thing.
The 556 is a great gun but two things have kept it from taking SHTF gun honors for me:
Flimsy hand guard and breaking action spring. Also the parts got confusing between the earlier ER models and later Classics, and various barrel lengths. The AR still offered me the parts and tunability I still want in a rifle. Being able to use a MIL SPEC lower does that for me.

As for your muzzle device nut, I only suspect this is a simpler means for locking up the index so the barrel threading need not be so precise-$$. It works. You may snug up to a crush washer and run out of crush before you get your index. Lock nut !
coletam
I

Update - Just waiting on Larue MBT2S trigger to complete the Rainier Lower (size comparison to Zenith MP5 my only shortest OAL pistol), and just snatched up one of the TIN Gold bolts on the store page.
WolfA1d.jpg
And then the long wait for the SilencerCo Omega that I submitted back in June (this Gov shut down isn't helping the process either)

That's unfortunate to hear Iamscotticus. Doesn't surprise me, SIG has quite the large inventory of items, overly redundant in some cases. And from my understanding on forums when I was looking into the Virtus / Rattler line, seems to abandon support for any previous iteration, compatibility issues, etc the moment the newest "latest and greatest" comes out as far as rifles are concerned. Seems the most solid support comes in their handgun line i.e. P2-___ (220,226, 229, 320 etc etc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.