New 14.5 upper—discouraging results

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Prepper_Pig
I

I recently received my 14.5” upper. Had to wait about 4 days to get it to the range due to rain and work schedule. Got it out today and things didn’t go too well. I stupidly thought I could start with an H3 buffer, then an h2, then an H buffer. Got down to the standard carbine buffer and it was still short stroking. However, I let it sit out in the sun for 20 min or so and went back to it and my results improved. Now it was only failing to lock back occasionally with a couple different mags—mostly brand new 20rd Surefeed mags.

I couldn’t adjust elevation on the front sight post without a tool because the detent sat way too far down in the front sight post channel but I got the windage dialed in using an A2 carry handle for the rear sight. BTW, the rear sight windage was almost maxed out to the right but my front post didn’t look canted too badly. I did notice the milling of the gas block where the front sight is dovetailed in seemed to be killed at angle. Anyways, by 60 rds it was doing ok. I’ll need to clock the flash hider better since it was off but I’ll take it out again tomorrow I think and try to get it zeroed properly and see if I can’t get an H buffer going in it.
Shel4963
I

The first 12.5" barreled upper I bought did the same thing...first two rounds short stroked. I removed the spring that came with the T91 buffer and replaced it with a "standard" Colt carbine spring and it ran like a top after that. Don't ask me why.
Shel
Arkane
C

The cycling issue is due to these having very tight chambers when you get them, maybe some machining lube residue or something left over. They usually loosen up after a mag or so. I scrub the devil out of mine with a chamber brush in a drill and CLP before the first trip to the range and don't have a problem with them. Last few uppers I've gotten I did that to and first time out I usually do a mag dump with them (hammer 'em in) and rarely ever run into problems.

That sight might be an issue. To check it for cant screw in a couple of connected cleaning rods and see if it's aligned with the upper. If not send it back on warranty.
DatChuan
II

I found a small tool punch and try to kinda see if I can adjust the front sight, it did push down the pin, but I am having trouble spinning it :-(
Qwerty
II

The flash hider is supposed to be off to 1-2 o'clock position.

I scrubbed the chamber with a brush for a good 5 minutes and oiled the carrier and bolt really good for the first few range trips and it did not have any issues.

I have H2 buffer and flatwire spring.
Prepper_Pig
I

Thanks for the replies. I figured that the chamber might be a little tight on it after reading a couple of threads here and then looking at my spent brass. I didn’t clean it at all before taking it out since the BCG was covered in oil already. I just made sure the barrel was clean.

When I got home I found my a1 sight tool but it was still too short to get down into the channel to depress the sight detent. I used a small flathead screw driver while simultaneously turning the sight tool. That seemed to work ok but I plan on picking up a proper T91 rear sight from the web store as soon as they are back in stock.

That’s interesting about the flash hider being clocked off center being that it’s basically an a1 hider. I don’t care for it anyways and plan on replacing it with the ported version as soon as it’s back in stock as well.
apex
L

Prepper_Pig wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 am I used a small flathead screw driver while simultaneously turning the sight tool. That seemed to work ok but I plan on picking up a proper T91 rear sight from the web store as soon as they are back in stock.
If you go with a T91 rear sight you will also need a standard-height AR-15 or T91 front sight post. The "tall" post that comes with the Wolf A1s is not compatible with T91 rear sights due to its height, as it cannot go down far enough to properly cowitness and is designed specifically for standard-height AR-15 rear sights.
I personally use a set of metal picks to adjust the tall posts:

Press down the detent with the straight pin and use one of the angled pins to spin the post to the desired height. Your local hardware store probably has something like this in stock as well (these are also handy to have around the house/workshop for other things as well).
DatChuan
II

apex wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:17 pm
Prepper_Pig wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 am I used a small flathead screw driver while simultaneously turning the sight tool. That seemed to work ok but I plan on picking up a proper T91 rear sight from the web store as soon as they are back in stock.
If you go with a T91 rear sight you will also need a standard-height AR-15 or T91 front sight post. The "tall" post that comes with the Wolf A1s is not compatible with T91 rear sights due to its height, as it cannot go down far enough to properly cowitness and is designed specifically for standard-height AR-15 rear sights.
I personally use a set of metal picks to adjust the tall posts:

Press down the detent with the straight pin and use one of the angled pins to spin the post to the desired height. Your local hardware store probably has something like this in stock as well (these are also handy to have around the house/workshop for other things as well).
Was it stiff when you try to turn the front sight?
apex
L

Yes, it's a little tight on the first couple turns.
DatChuan
II

apex wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:49 pm Yes, it's a little tight on the first couple turns.
Forgive my dumb question, which way does the FSP go up?
Arkane
C

DatChuan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:08 am
apex wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:49 pm Yes, it's a little tight on the first couple turns.
It's right hand threaded, so looking at it from the top turning it clockwise lowers it (raising impact) and counterclockwise raises it (lowering impact). Righty tighty/lefty loosy.
DatChuan
II

Arkane wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 am
DatChuan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:08 am
It's right hand threaded, so looking at it from the top turning it clockwise lowers it (raising impact) and counterclockwise raises it (lowering impact). Righty tighty/lefty loosy.
Thanks man