Update with the Wolf A1

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

Arkane
C

I've made a few mods to the rifle and took it back out today, I'm happy with it in it's current config and will leave it be and wait for the pencil barrel version (if Wolf ever brings them in) to mod to a T91 clone. The other one I have inbound will get the changes I've cited below.

Current config: Anderson arms closed ear lower with Rise RA-140 SST 3.5 lb drop in trigger and KNS pins, POF anti-tilt buffer tube, Wolf XP spring, and Heavybuffers H2 anti-tilt buffer. The only changes to the upper was the substitution of the correct T91 ported flash hider and BCM extractor upgrade kit.

I fired another 500 rounds of PMC M855 62g this afternoon and the obvious signs of buffer tilt are not apparent now. IMHO either/or/both the tube and buffer solved the wear. I believe part of the wear issue with the original tube may have been due to the fact it was an el cheapo. Nonetheless the spring/buffer combo seemed to smooth out the rifle a bit more than just running a regular H2. Accuracy was more than acceptable. If you're gong to run the keymod handguard either use a VFG or good gloves, it heated up enough I removed it and replaced the stock handguards. No FTFs or FTEs, and wear on the striking face of the bolt extension is minimal.

One thing I am concerned about is replacement parts for the BCG, specifically the bolt body. Having broken a few bolts in my days I am going to be looking for an alternative until Wolf starts selling repair parts. I do believe I read somewhere that a guy ran a complete BCG out of another piston rifle and it worked fine, anyone know what brand that was (haven't been able to find the post/article again)?

For those that haven't invested in one I highly suggest buying an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor freight and a set of 475-480 cal.nylon bore brushes for piston tube.
Arkane
C

Just a follow up, I took the second upper out yesterday and had great success with it. This one was built similar to the first with a Wolf XP recoil spring and Heavybuffers H2 nippled buffer with a POF anti-tilt receiver extension topped off with a tacfire 4 prong twist flash hider. The lower is pretty stock with the exception of a Rise SSA 3.5 lb. trigger and BCM extractor spring upgrade kit.

Prior to firing I cleaned all of the shipping lube off and chucked a chamber brush on a rod into a drill and scoured the chamber pausing to flush it every few seconds. The result? The very first round was a failure to fully extract (key had to wear into the upper), then 100 rounds of 55g 5.56 with not one hicccup. For laughs we also swapped in an Adams Arms one piece bolt carrier and the rifle ran flawlessly so on this one I'll be putting one of their NIB coated BC's and carrier keys.
e292644
Site Admin

Congrats and thank for all the great info.
Base on your testing, so far we know:
1. POF anti-tilt receiver extension
2. Wolff XP recoil spring
3. Heavybuffers H2 nippled buffer
4. Adams Arms one piece bolt carrier
They all ran flawlessly with Wolf A1 upper.
@onion20@
Arkane wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:41 pm Just a follow up, I took the second upper out yesterday and had great success with it. This one was built similar to the first with a Wolf XP recoil spring and Heavybuffers H2 nippled buffer with a POF anti-tilt receiver extension topped off with a tacfire 4 prong twist flash hider. The lower is pretty stock with the exception of a Rise SSA 3.5 lb. trigger and BCM extractor spring upgrade kit.

Prior to firing I cleaned all of the shipping lube off and chucked a chamber brush on a rod into a drill and scoured the chamber pausing to flush it every few seconds. The result? The very first round was a failure to fully extract (key had to wear into the upper), then 100 rounds of 55g 5.56 with not one hicccup. For laughs we also swapped in an Adams Arms one piece bolt carrier and the rifle ran flawlessly so on this one I'll be putting one of their NIB coated BC's and carrier keys.
Qwerty
II

Thanks for sharing the info!
Arkane
C

I've been extremely happy with the POF anti-tilt tube and heavy buffers nippled buffer. There is literally zero wear marks on the buffer tubes, something you don't even see with a normal DI rifle.
t44e6
II

Just got my A1 upper, can't wait to shoot it! When you tried the Adams bolt carrier, did you swap bolts? I am akso curious if the spring Adams uses between the bolt and carrier would have any effect. I would like to swap the entire assembly if I could and was curious exactly what parts you swapped.
kingleonidas
I

Hi guys,

New to the board here, awesome site, by the way. After being with the military almost a decade ago, I decided to start building my first AR-15, did a lot of research, and decided on the Wolf A1. I've read, and heard a lot of great things about it; wish we could have the whole upper, and lower brought in; but hey, I'm grateful they allowed this. Just makes it more fun to "build your own", try out various configurations. You can't beat a rifle that has been proven for over 40 years by the Taiwanese military.

I just ordered mine, and it's coming in Thursday, and I decided on a complete Spike Tactical lower, just for starters. I was reading on here some of the configurations other members have done, quite impressive stuff. I was going to ask if that Burst Review Youtube channel that did a review on it, I don't think they ever came out with the "Perfect Wolf A1" build video, did they?

Also, just wanted to reach out on thoughts about people think about the "best" ammunition, compatible lowers, suppressors, rails, sights, the whole 9 yards; and any advice/suggestions to anyone new to their Wolf A1.

Much thanks, hope you guys are enjoying yours.

Leonidas
e292644
Site Admin

Welcome Kingleonidas,

Bet you will love your Wolf A1 like we do. ;-)
Make sure clean and lube it thoroughly before bring it to the range.
Brass ammo recommended for the 1st 50-100 rounds, 55g should be fine for sight in but I really like 62g for 200+ yards.
Any AR-15 lower should work with this upper since I haven't hear anyone having issues.
All 556 suppressors should work just make sure you prepare for the excess gas blow back. :crying:
Since this upper little bit over gas, I recommend H2 Anti-Tilt buffer + Wolff buffer spring. You'll be surprised.

e292644
kingleonidas wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:24 pm Hi guys,

New to the board here, awesome site, by the way. After being with the military almost a decade ago, I decided to start building my first AR-15, did a lot of research, and decided on the Wolf A1. I've read, and heard a lot of great things about it; wish we could have the whole upper, and lower brought in; but hey, I'm grateful they allowed this. Just makes it more fun to "build your own", try out various configurations. You can't beat a rifle that has been proven for over 40 years by the Taiwanese military.

I just ordered mine, and it's coming in Thursday, and I decided on a complete Spike Tactical lower, just for starters. I was reading on here some of the configurations other members have done, quite impressive stuff. I was going to ask if that Burst Review Youtube channel that did a review on it, I don't think they ever came out with the "Perfect Wolf A1" build video, did they?

Also, just wanted to reach out on thoughts about people think about the "best" ammunition, compatible lowers, suppressors, rails, sights, the whole 9 yards; and any advice/suggestions to anyone new to their Wolf A1.

Much thanks, hope you guys are enjoying yours.

Leonidas