front sight detent is permanently retracted

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

rchen404
II

I clicked on the "read before posting" but got an error and would not load.

My front sight detent is permanently retracted. It is not flush with the top of the front sight like it should be. It is about 2/3 of the way pushed down already. This makes it impossible to adjust the front sight with a standard sight tool because it cannot push the pin down.

I need something like a dental pick to push down the detent and another one to rotate the front sight.
e292644
Site Admin

I guess you've got a standard Wolf A1 with tall front sight post, It will not flush with the top like AR-15.
You can use any rear sight made for AR-15 to sight in and that's how it look.
Original T91 front sight post are lower compared with AR. (see attached photo) and you have to use T91 simple or carry handle rear sight to associate with it.
T91FSPT01.jpg
PS: Sorry about the error, it's been fixed. Thanks for point it out.
rchen404 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:27 am I clicked on the "read before posting" but got an error and would not load.

My front sight detent is permanently retracted. It is not flush with the top of the front sight like it should be. It is about 2/3 of the way pushed down already. This makes it impossible to adjust the front sight with a standard sight tool because it cannot push the pin down.

I need something like a dental pick to push down the detent and another one to rotate the front sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iamscotticus
L

Mine looks like that too
e292644
Site Admin

This is how Wolf A1 tall front sight post looks like.

IMG_0207.jpg

T91 front sight post.
T91FSB00.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rchen404
II

Wow thanks you guys are awesome!

I got mine from aim surplus and they say it is a standard AR post that will work with any rear sight.

The sight drum is flush with the hole. The problem is that the detent/locking pin that prevents the sight post from spinning freely - that part is retracted. So the 5 prong sight tool will not pay down the detent so that the sight post can be adjusted.

I have other ARs that work fine with the sight tool.

Any way you guys can take a top down pic of your front sight assembly? How are you guys adjusting your sights?

Thanks again!
e292644
Site Admin

Here's the photos. Try remove and inspect all parts then re-install by using two small nails or something simular. I heard AR15 front sight post tools will not fit.

T91FSPTop.jpg
T91FSPParts.jpg
rchen404
II

Thanks buddy. My locking detent/pin is definitely messed up. Yours comes all the way to the top and can be depressed. I'm buying a 5 prong ar front sight tool. Should work if the detent were not so depressed.

Might unscrew the front post and see what's going on. Maybe spring is short? Thanks for posting pic with the tape measure
Arkane
C

rchen404 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:46 pm Wow thanks you guys are awesome!
I got mine from aim surplus and they say it is a standard AR post that will work with any rear sight.
The sight drum is flush with the hole. The problem is that the detent/locking pin that prevents the sight post from spinning freely - that part is retracted. So the 5 prong sight tool ill not pay down the detent so that the sight post can be adjusted.
I have other ARs that work fine with the sight tool.
Any way you guys can take a top down pic of your front sight assembly? How are you guys adjusting your sights?
Thanks again!
All of the rifles shipping now have the modified front sight post (the one with the tall drum with detents) which will work with pretty much any standard carbine rear sight. It's unusual that yours was all the way down, mine was almost falling out when I got it. The problem this modified front sight post creates is that we can't just use a normal mechanical zero on the front sight post as a reference point before zeroing. What I did on the rifle I kept one on was completely remove it and re-install it at roughly half the drum depth and went from there. Not perfect, but it worked.

What I've been using to adjust the front sight post on my Wolf's is a cheap hex head jewelers screwdriver that is small enough to fit.
firearms
II

The A1 adjustment tool works.

As a rule, because this series of rifles were developed based on the M16A1 spec so there are a lot of left-over features, when in doubt, try A1 stuff.
rchen404
II

Yes I bought this tool. The real problem is that the detent/locking pin is recessed and stuck in the down position. So the prongs would not reach the detent.
Arkane
C

firearms wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am The A1 adjustment tool works.

As a rule, because this series of rifles were developed based on the M16A1 spec so there are a lot of left-over features, when in doubt, try A1 stuff.
Will that tool work on the newer front sight posts (like the one pictured on the left vs. the original on the right)? All of the tools I posses have way too short prongs to push the detent down while turning.

rchen404
II

Hi Arkane, that's my problem too. I unscrewed the fsp and I have the one with the wide drum (left one in your pic).

So the left wide drum is the "tall" sight? Instead of widening the drum, they should have just made the rest longer. The overall beefy build of the gun reminds me of my AKs more than ARs.

Let me know if you find a tool that works. Otherwise I'm stuck using a stitch ripper and dental pick. I expect an ar sighting tool to work - I hate improvising
Last edited by rchen404 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e292644
Site Admin

@rchen404
You mentioned on earlier post "The sight drum is flush with the hole" which made me think they installed FSP all the way down to the bottom which will cause detent to being pushed down to the limit.
Please remove it and inspect all parts and make sure spring tension still good.
Install FSP only half way down after see if that will help.
rchen404 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:58 pm Hi Arkane, that's my problem too. The detent being retracted is a manufacturing defect I think. I don't think the prongs will be able to push down the retracted detent.

Aimsurplus, where I bought it from is still on vacation so I haven't been able to talk to them.

I have multiple ARs and non of the detents are pushed down so far.
rchen404
II

Thanks e292. I unscrewed the fsp most of the way out.

The drum of the sight appears too wide for the prongs on the sight tool to make contact with the detent. Prongs only reach halfway down the width of the drum. Gonna try with my a1 tool once I get it. Would be a major pia if I had to use 2 dental picks to adjust sights

Do you know if the wide drum is the regulation AR sight?
IMG_20171226_235942-min.jpg
e292644
Site Admin

You've got a tall FSP for carbine rear sight, M16A1 tool will not be able to reach the detent unless you swap out to T91 FSP.
Or, like you said use dental picks to adjust it. Once you zero it in, there's no need to touch it.