front sight detent is permanently retracted

Moderators: e292644, blueeyedwolf

rchen404
II

e292, I called Wolf who told me to call SDS Imports. They're basically saying the same thing you are. The drum is too thick for any sight tool to work. If you switch to a thinner drum, the locking detent might not engage.

so looks like I made a whole big deal about nothing. Back to using the dental picks.
Arkane
C

Try using what I use (pic below), these are more controllable than fiddling with dental picks. The reason for the taller drum on the front sight post is to allow the use of commercial carbine rear sights (since the upper comes without a rear sight). The original front sight base (like Sean sells) is designed around the M16A1 standard, which is a shorter bore to height level than the M4 uses. (which is what pretty much all the rear backup sights are built around nowadays) If you switch to the original front sight post you'll probably be able to use a regular tool, but will need to get either the carrying handle or simple rear sight Sean sells, or a Daniel Defense A1 height rear sight. I like the simple rear sight on my 91 clone, but my working rifle has the "tall drum" front sight and a Matech buis. I have yet to find a folding rear sight that is A1 height, and I'm not even sure anyone makes one.

They can be had pretty cheap on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CT2224-6PC-Pre ... SwKIpWBThG
Iamscotticus
L

Are the flange diameters different between the two?
rchen404
II

Thanks Arkane. Just weird they have to resort to such a wide drum. There are non F stamped fsb that take longer posts but same same width drums.

I've read HK AR buis work but too expensive for me.

https://forum.t91tactical.com/phpbb/phpbb/ ... f=13&p=372
Arkane
C

Yeah the second A1 I got had the big drum, I kinda had to scratch myhead, but that's the solution they came up with instead of a taller post.
Iamscotticus
L

I dont think i could get used to the T91 FS post. Too short.
SkyeAuroline
I

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm having exactly the same issue and can't resolve it even with metal punches (the best I can find to actually reach and depress the detent). Was a practical solution ever found to this? I'm about ready to machine out the gaps in my sight tool to reach deeper on the drum...